Saturday, September 7, 2013

First Day of Kindergarten

I am warning everyone reading this right now that there will be A LOT of photos in this post.

Wednesday was orientation for Kelly's Kindergarten. It lasted only about a half hour. Her teacher just explained the process of dropping off and picking up, about the different folders she uses (Yellow is the communication folder, blue is the homework folder). Kelly will get homework every day except Friday. She explained about morning and afternoon snacks, Star Student, how she monitors behavior, etc. I'm sure there will be more on this blog later about those things as Kelly's continues through Kindergarten.

Thursday was her first day so here begin the photos. Just some photos of her outside the house.

This next one is my favorite.

One with mommy. Yes, I brought coffee. It was early.


She was getting bored after a while as you can see...


With daddy...


Then we were off. For the most part, Ron will be taking Kelly to school in the morning but I had to go the first day of course. For the first two days we had to park on the street and walk her up to the school and they line them up by grade outside.


We go to the church that is connected with the school, so at least it wasn't too unfamiliar. She seemed a bit overwhelmed when she had to line up. She didn't cry, but it looked like she was about to cry. She was very nervous, I could just see it.



Let's talk about those white sneakers. We are still working on Kelly tying her own shoes. The pair she is wearing came from Payless because I was having a hard time finding a pair that fit her well so I just bought those to have. Apparently, the second day the teacher had to keep tying her shoes. The laces aren't very long so I couldn't double knot them. Anyway, I had ordered a new pair of New Balance that are velcro from Zappos and they arrived on Friday. They fit fine so we will use these until she gets the hang of it or I buy longer laces! She actually likes the pair from Payless because they have a little pink in them so I figure that is incentive for her to learn. She almost has it, but it is hard since those laces are short. Ok, enough about those shoes.

After we dropped her off, I drove to work and Ron walked home. I admit, I was a wreck. She just looked so scared when she walked in. I called Ron and told him to all me as soon as he picked her up.



Ron said she listened and waited for the teacher to say it was OK to go. It took some time, but we eventually learned that they took a tour of the school, read a story, and then they did a project based on that story. I'm not sure what it was but involved using one of those 14 glue sticks I had to provide and she was very excited about it. She also colored a "First Day Certificate" so those crayons are at use as well!

The teacher sent a "First Day Survival Kit" which was very cute. Kelly and I checked it out at home.


So Thursday and Friday were only half days and they were dismissed at noon. Monday starts the full day. I am making a change at work where I have shortened my hours so I will be able to pick her up from school and she will not have to go to aftercare.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I am so happy that she survived the first day and it's awesome that you can pick Kelly up and spend the rest of the afternoon with her. Everyone looks great and I am still so amazed at the recovery. How's the running coming along?

    ReplyDelete