Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Ron's First Checkup and a Short Kidney Lesson


Ok, so in a nutshell, Ron is doing great! If you want to learn more, read on.

Now please note, I am by no means a medical professional. The only science course I took in college was astronomy to avoid a lab.

To understand how well your kidneys are functioning, a doctor will check your creatinine level. This shows how well your kidneys are cleaning out the waste in your blood. (That is the VERY simplistic way of explaining it). To give you a frame of reference, a normal range for this level is from .6 to 1.2. My number was .9 when I was tested to be a donor. With me so far? Cool.

Ron's creatinine was at 6.5 before surgery. If Ron had any other kidney disease, he would have been on dialysis already according to his doctor. Polycystic kidney disease just works differently than any other kidney disease.

Ron's creatinine level when he left hospital on July 19th: 1.4
Ron's creatinine level at his first checkup on July 22: 1.2

The doctors told him that some patients do not get below 2 and are considered a success.

BTW- this number can still drop.

Quick update on me:
I had bloodwork to check my creatinine level yesterday at a local lab and I have my checkup on Friday. I'll let you know how I do then!

BTW- Feel free to comment. It gives us something to read!

Crissy









/

3 comments:

  1. What an incredible journey by two wonderful people!

    We are so proud of you, and both humbled & inspired by your bravery and heart!

    Best wishes for quick healing and good health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron and Crissy,
    Our warmest wishes go to you today as you navigate the road to healing. Lina misses Kelly in school every day. Sprinkler fun just hasn't been the same. Thanks for the ballet info. We look forward to more play dates really soon! Back to Monday night Blimpies before you know it.
    Bev and Lina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ladies! We miss you two. It was good to see you last night.

      Delete