I am not sure if I have mentioned that our surgeries were at Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, NJ. I have been there more times than I can count (Before surgery, I visited more times than Ron if you can believe it) and I have wanted to see a helicopter. Yesterday was my lucky day! I actually saw one take off as I was walking to my car as well.
Back to Kidney talk. Ron and I now have matching creatinine levels at 1.2!
This is considered on the high side of normal. They told me this would happen after I donated. Feel free to check out my short kidney lesson from earlier this week for more info. So on to
Kidney Lesson 2:
When you go from two kidneys to one, your kidney function does NOT drop 50% but it doesn't quite get back up to 100%. Very few people will have kidneys that function at 100%. After donation, the remaining kidney almost doubles in size to compensate for the missing one. My kidney will probably function at 75-85% for the rest of my life. So, the fact that my creatinine went from .9 to 1.2 is normal because I am down to one kidney. Now if you remember from Ron's checkup, his creatinine is also at 1.2. So we match once again!
I was told that this is the time where I will start feeling better, but I cannot push myself. I admit that yesterday was tough. I was exhausted by the time I got home from the hospital. But I got to see this when I returned:
Kelly LOVES flamingos, and her Aunt T bought that toy for her yesterday while I was at the hospital. Kelly also has plenty of other swimsuits, but prefers her "zucchini". (That's what she calls her "bikini") Get it?
In addition to the cactus, we have some other Pool Friends:
Bambi the Chihuahua
The Pot Lady (I probably should come up with a better name):
My next checkup is in six months where they check my weight, blood pressure, and creatinine level. Ron has THREE appointments next week so I will have more updates on his progress then.Any other name suggestions for the lady made of flower pots?
No comments:
Post a Comment