In case you haven't heart, on July 16th Ron underwent a kidney transplant using one of my kidneys. (I told him he can only have one). See, we are matched in
more ways that one! For those of you who don't know the full story, here's some background:
In 2001 (we were engaged at the time) Ron was diagnosed with Polycystic
Kidney Disease. [I will not bore you with the details so feel free to google or
go to www.pkdcure.org if you are interested in learning more---or feel free to
ask us about it]. We have known since
then that he would need a transplant one day and he has just been monitored ever
since. In the last year his kidney function has gotten to the point where
we needed to figure out what to do about it. I volunteered to be tested and it
has been a long road with that (again, I can bore you about that at another time
if you are interested) and I got the clearance this spring. My sister is a
teacher so doing it in the summer works out for us so she can take care of Kelly
while we are both in the hospital and I recover. Speaking of Kelly... she
doesn't know anything about what is going on. We will tell her one day, but for
now she doesn't need to know anything.
So that is the backstory - the status right now is that we are both out of the hospital and recouperating already! We'll share more with you as we travel this road.... please feel free to share your comments and support here, we would love to hear from all of you!
Crissy
p.s. While we are recuperating our friend (and blogmaster) Andrea will be posting blog entries
Hi Crissy! My name is Melissa and I heard about your blog from Rosemary Wolff - I hope you don't mind me reaching out! I'm also a kidney donor and I thought it'd be nice to connect in case you have questions or if you just want to chat! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on a successful surgery! What an incredible thing you've done for your husband!! Feels kind of weird knowing you saved someone's life doesn't it? I donated my kidney on March 8, 2011 to a stranger to start a six-person chain. I've since met my recipient (she came to my wedding this past fall) and we keep in close touch. If you ever have any questions about whether or not something is normal, what you can and cannot do/eat/drink, etc., please do not hesitate to reach out!!!! All the best for a relatively pain-free recovery for you and your husband and kidney hugs from a fellow kidney sister!
ReplyDeleteHi Melissa! Rosemary told me about you and I am so glad you contacted me. I am new to this blog thing so I apologize for the delayed response. How do I contact you?
DeleteThanks for sharing w me Crissy! U had mentioned something about surgeries...which I was slightly puzzled about (esp the plural aspect of it!) since we never had a chance to talk. Now I understand what's going on and I'm happy everyone (including Kelly!) is on the mend.
ReplyDelete