So how did it go? Don't worry, I don't get graphic or gross.
Our surgery was scheduled for July 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM which meant we needed to arrive at 8:30. We dropped Petey off at grandpa's (Ron's dad) and Kelly off at my sister's house on Monday. I have to say it was very weird staying at our house without those two. It hasn't been that way since 2005.
Anyway, we took a car service to the hospital and arrived at 8:15 AM. The staff took us in right away and set us up in side-by-side rooms and we were allowed to go back and forth. So they thought. The doctors came to talk to us and I won't lie. It was very emotional. Then they had to take Ron to his room and my mom and sister arrived. Thank goodness for that because Ron tested positive for MRSA in his nose and we were no longer allowed to see each other. MRSA is a type of staph that most of us have and it isn't a big deal, but since Ron's immune system is not as strong as the rest of us, we needed to stay away. The precaution was for him, not us. Did I mention how grateful I was that my mom and sister were there?
Anyway, they did the entire IV hook up and medical history and then my surgeon came in to see me. My mom happens to find him very handsome (yes, that is the word she used) so she was all happy to see him. It was a moment that made me laugh so thanks mom. He just asked if I had any questions, then I signed the final paperwork that they would take my LEFT kidney. Why left? I am glad you asked. It is because the left kidney has a longer artery and vein attached to it so they have more to work with when they put it in Ron. Go figure. So my LEFT kidney is now on Ron's RIGHT side. Got it? OK. Oh, and the surgeon actually wrote on my side "yes" in a purple marker. My sister took a photo and I sent it to Andrea to post but she didn't think it was a good idea. She's probably right.
The photo in question, which we decided to post after all...
So I waited for a while and then it was time to go. The anesthesiologist came to bring me to the OR waiting area. He said it would be about 20 minutes. On the way there they rolled me by Ron's room so I could say goodbye one last time. Then I proceeded to wait about an hour. By myself. Awesome. I felt like I was on an episode of Scrubs without the humor. Then they started to roll me in about noon and my anesthesiologist asked if I was feeling any calmer because he had given me something to relax me. Nope was my answer. I then heard someone say "Huh, you learn something new every day". I told the nurse that I didn't want anyone learning anything new. She laughed because they were just talking how someone didn't know that someone else was married. That's how casual it is in the OR before surgery. Maybe I really was on an episode of Scrubs?
After that, the next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room in more pain than I can possibly explain. Here's the fun thing- the staff consistently asks you "On a scale of 1 to 10 how is your pain?" Really? You just sliced an organ out of me. I would say 10 is a given. Then they do this thing called a "tap block" which numbs the area of incision. OMG! That was the best thing in the world!
In all seriousness, I want to make sure I write down one thing before I forget. I admit that I was freaked out before this surgery. Like so freaked out Ron and I were discussing not going through with it the morning of the surgery. The second I woke in Recovery the first thing I thought was I absolutely did the right thing. It was an amazing feeling. Think about it. I was in so much pain that I really thought a train hit me, but that was the thought I had. The second was to ask how Ron was doing but he was still in surgery as I knew he would be.
Anyway, my mom and sister came to see me in recovery and were full of smiles which was pretty cool. Then they let me rest for a while (and get more pain medication). They also let me know as soon as Ron was out of surgery and that he was doing well. They had a room ready for me and the nurse told the "transporter" to roll me by Ron's bed so I got to see him. I heard someone ask him "Is that your wife" and he said "Yes, she's the best". My transporter actually told me he started to tear up listening to us as he brought me to my room.
My mom and sister were waiting for me in room 5724 and soon as I stopped I asked for a bucket. All that motion was too much for me. Of course, nothing was in my stomach, so nothing happened but I thought it was a nice way to great my family.
So that's the surgery! More tomorrow on how our recovery is doing and I will post some great photos of Kelly!
Just to clarify... I didn't say it was a bad idea to post the photo, I just thought it would be an "interesting" first post. But accompanied by all this detail I think it is fine so I did post it :-)
ReplyDeleteAndrea
p.s. Crissy, you are AMAZING!!!!! This is the epitome of bravery ... and love <3
ReplyDeleteThanks, Andrea!
Delete