Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ron's Routines...The Daily Rituals of a Kidney Transplant Recipient

Update on Ron: 
He had a checkup on Monday, August 19th and was told he now only has to go once week. For the first four weeks he had to go to the doctor and have bloodwork on Monday, and then he would go back on Friday for more bloodwork. You can see what his arm has been going through.

They have to use the same arm each time. More on why in another post.

Over the weekend I overheard a telephone conversation Ron was having with a friend that was checking in to see how he was doing. I heard him say "I am surprising keeping myself busy considering I can't really leave the house." So this lead me to ask Ron about what he does all day. Here is a rough approximation of his schedule


  • 6:30: Ron gets Kelly up, makes her breakfast and gets her ready for school. (I make and pack her lunch) This is only for last week and this week. She is not in school next week.
  • Goes back to bed until...
  • 9:45 AM: Ron's alarm goes off. He checks blood sugar, takes his blood pressure, weight, and temperature.
  • Takes pills.
  • Eats Breakfast
  • Takes 1 pill
  • "Does what he is doing for the day"- I interpret this as watching some TV. :-)- heh, heh, heh
  • Takes a 15 minute walk
  • Does some more things which I interpret as watching some TV.
  • Checks blood sugar
  • 1 PM: Eats Lunch
  • Takes 1 pill
  • Does some more things that I interpret as watching some TV
  • 2:30: 15 minute walk
  • Does some more things that I interpret as watching some TV
  • 4:30: Weight training
  • 5:30: awaits his lovely wife and daughter's arrival
  • Cooks dinner
  • Checks Blood sugar
  • Eats dinner
  • 15 minute walk after dinner
  • 9:45 PM: Alarm goes off to check his vitals as listed above. 
  • Takes pills
  • 2 hours after dinner: checks blood sugar for last time.


Now, when he has a doctor's appointment in the morning, he has to take his medication 11 hours prior to appointment. So, sometimes he has to stay up until after midnight to take medication depending upon appointment time.

Does he watch that much TV during the day? He'll say no, but I told him this is my post and I can say what I want. He is a co-author on this blog and if he wants to do a post, he can. Muwwahahaha..

In all seriousness, he does do other stuff during the day. For example: today he worked on cleaning the office. Yesterday: he spent a good part of the afternoon on the phone with my short term disability provider. (Don't get me started on that) Monday: at the hospital for his checkup and bloodwork. (The hospital is about a 40 minute drive).

Ok, so that was A LOT of text without any visual aids. I need to finish off with a cute photo of Ron and Kelly playing the Disney Princess Enchanted Ball Game.


No comments:

Post a Comment